Energy Space is committed to complying with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (‘the Act’), the Australian Privacy Principles, and the privacy provisions of all applicable legislation.
We must collect, retain and disclose some personal information under Australian law, for example under the A New Tax System (Goods and Services Tax) Act 1999 (Cth) and the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth). This information will generally be retained for a period of seven (7) years.
We respect your privacy and the personal information you provide to us and we are committed to protecting it. If you do not provide the personal information we require it may not be possible to provide you with facilities or services, or do business with you.
We collect personal information about you when you:
- register to use our services;
- complete any internal forms;
- register/request to be included on a mailing list;
- submit information to us for any other reason.
We collect personal information about you only if it is relevant to providing our services. This information generally includes:
- your name, gender, address, age, contact details;
- details in respect of your purchases or our services offered to you;
- records of correspondence between us.
We will use your personal information in the following ways:
- to help provide a personalised experience for you (your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs);
- to improve customer service
- (your information helps us to more effectively respond to your customer service requests and support needs);
- to provide to third party service providers or others to help provide a product or service to you;
- to provide to our advisers (e.g. lawyers, accountants and business advisers) if necessary;
- to be stored or transferred to a subsidiary, parent or related entity (whether in Australia or overseas);
- to fulfil our contractual duties to you (if any) and enforce your contractual duties (if any) to Energy Space;
- for internal purposes such as procedural assessment, risk management, service reviews and improvement, website and advertisement improvement, staff training, accounting and billing;
- as otherwise permitted by the Australian Privacy Principles.
When registering with our company, it is taken that you consent to direct marketing. You have the opportunity to “opt out” of receiving direct marketing information. Unless you opt out we will assume you have consented to the receipt of that information. You may opt out by up changing the settings in Moodle, or by contacting us at email@example.com or contacting our Privacy Officer on 02 6262 7055.
How we protect your information
To ensure that data is protected from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, your personal information is securely stored on our in-house server which is protected within the company’s computer network. There is limited access to this personal information and our servers, as well as the database, are each password protected. Our servers are further protected by the use of firewalls and spyware detection software.
It is unlikely that we will provide personal information to overseas recipients.
If we collect sensitive information (as defined under section 6 of the Act) we will treat it with the utmost security and confidentiality. We will ensure that it is not collected for any purposes, other than those for which we have obtained the individual’s consent, unless the law requires otherwise, or other exceptional circumstances prevail as described under the Act.
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect our (or others’) rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
We will destroy or permanently delete your personal information once it is no longer needed or required to be kept by law. However, some personal information is required by law to be retained for a period of seven (7) years.
We are committed to protecting the privacy of individuals. As such, we will view unauthorised disclosure of, or access to, personal information by our employees, contractors or agents, as a serious breach of this Policy and appropriate action will be taken. If you believe that we have committed a breach of the Australian Privacy Principles, or a binding registered Australian Privacy Principle code, you may make a complaint in writing to our Privacy Officer via our email address firstname.lastname@example.org, or via post at PO Box 1202, Dickson ACT 2602.
You have the right to access your personal information and to request that your personal information be corrected if an error exists. You may acquire more information about the way we manage your personal information or about obtaining access to your personal information by contacting our Privacy Officer on 02 6262 7055, by e-mail on email@example.com, or by writing to PO Box 1202, Dickson ACT 2602. However, we may on occasion need to deny access to information in accordance with the exemptions contained in the Act.
This Policy is supplemented by our Collection Notice, available at www.energyspace.com.au.
Last updated: 4 June 2014.